BroodMinder-W3 hive scale
BroodMinder-W3 is a full weight hive scale. It uses 4 force sensors to weigh the entire hive and it can virtually fit any kind of hive/support configuration.
W3 is available in 3 versions to provide a flexible choice:
- Fully assembled scale
- Partially assembled, calibrated
- Parts kit, unassembled, uncalibrated.
As for any other of our hive scale models, W3 will accurately measure the slightest changes in beehive weight, allowing it to detect nectar-flow startup and intensity. It also helps to manage colony overwintering and spring growth, as well as to detect swarms.
Recommended for hobbyist beekeepers and professional beekeepers with sedentary apiaries to improve colony management while reducing time spent and transportation costs. You will install it in 1 minute and leave it under your hive all year long.
- The Fully assembled scale is ready to place under the hive.
- The Partially assembled, calibrated version contains all of the parts needed to assemble a hive scale except for the 5x10cm support pieces. All of the soldering and electronics are assembled here and the unit is calibrated.
- The Parts kit, unassembled, uncalibrated version contains all of the parts needed to assemble a hive scale except for the 5x10cm support pieces. Soldering and calibration are required as described in the user guide.
All of them include:
- 4x 50kg load cells
- 1 circuit board with battery holder
- 2 AAA lithium batteries
- 1 watertight box
- screws and wiring accessories
- fee web and mobile app access
- quick start paper guide and extensive online documentation
BroodMinder-W3 hive scale helps to monitor all aspects related to colony resource management: food stores quantification with the total weight measurement. Nectar flow start-up and intensity with weight variations and productivity. Overwintering resource consumption rate and colony startup are also easy to assess with weight measurements.
The scale is also helpful to detect colony events like bees leaving for foraging in the morning. Swarming events are also well identified. When the bees leave the hive there is a sudden drop in weight. You can then quantify what time and how big was the swarm. Dearth or robing can also be detected in critical periods.
Weight and external temperature are measured every hour and stored into the device internal memory, able to hold more than 1year data.
Works with the extensive BroodMinder wireless ecosystem.
If you own a Cell hub or a Wifi hub, you can inspect the data in real time: this option requires a premium subscription.
If you have a free membership, you will be sharing hive scale data with scientists and researchers through our citizen-science initiative BeeCounted.org. Premium Membership users can choose whether to share their data or keep it proprietary.
As for any other device, apiary share with other Broodminder users is possible and only you decide and manage who access it (read only).
Measures: hive weight and ambient temperature
Size: 50 x 43 x 6 cm (length x width x height) fully assembled version
Weight: 2 kg fully assembled version
Envelope: circuit board box
Battery: 2x Energizer AA Lithium (included)
Battery life: 5 years
Measurement frequency: every hour or every 15 min
Load cells: 4 temp compensated sensors (2 @ 25cm / 2 @ 76cm lead length)
Max hive weight: 200kg
Accuracy: +/- 5,0 gr, +/- 0,25°C
Internal memory storage: ~ 7000 readings
Transmission: Bluetooth Low Energy
Transmission range: +30 meters
Firmware update: Broodminder Bees app
Available with Free and Premium memberships
BroodMinder-W3 installs on any kind of support (bricks, palets, flat ground..). Although it is not very sensitive to leveling, it is a good practice to check that all four feet are firmly pushing on the ground. You can use the scale graph in Mybroodminder.com to assess the L/R unbalance and verify that the loads are evenly distributed.
Depending on your specific support you can think on what scale dimensions are the most suitable. Some beekeepers design their own scales taking into account specific constraints and use the Partially-assembled-calibrated or the Parts-kit unassembled-uncalibrated versions to make it fit to their own needs
If you’re willing to have an accurate monitoring of nectar flows and winter food store consumption we recommend installing at least 2 scales to have multiple hive measurements and overcome any single-hive specificity that could mislead your decisions.
Another best practice is combining Broodminder-W3 scale with a BroodMinder-T internal hive monitor. Monitoring both weight+brood you’ll have the most accurate description of what’s going on.
If you wish real-time data transmission, you should consider one of our Data transmission hubs.
If it is the first time you install a BroodMinder device, follow the next generic steps.
- install BroodMinder Bees app (Android, iOS), create your account
- open the box and pull the tab to activate the scale
- make your first manual sync
- install the device under your beehive
- view and explore the data on mobile BroodMinder Bees app and on the web Mybroodminder.com.
Shipping & Delivery
Shipping terms and conditions for online orders on eu.broodminder.com
- France: FREE on orders above 100€
- Europe zones 1, 2 (see below): FREE on orders above 150€
- Europe zone 3 : FREE on orders above 200€
- Rest of the world : contact us.
- France: 4 working days
- Europe: 5 working days
- Worldwide: on average 7-10 working days (depending on location).
- In most of the EU countries (when available) you will be able to choose among two delivery methods:
- Home delivery with signature (you need to be at home and sign the delivery because of insurance)
- Pick-up & Go if you want it delivered in your preferred relay
- Orders are sent in tracked packages
- After your purchase you will be able to follow delivery in real time.
- Shall you encounter any issue with your delivery, please contact our customer service: email@example.com
Countries & Zones
- Zone 1: Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands.
- Zone 2: Austria, Spain, Ireland, Italy, Portugal.
- Zone 3: Denmark, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland.